Tuesday 25 September 2007

Tory defector Judith Symes

Now, I have no axe to grind per se for the Tory Party. This defection by Judith Symes (hat tip Guido Fawkes) to me say as much about her as it does about the shortcomings of Dave's reforms.
Ms Symes, 43, told The Argus about her decision to defect at Labour's annual conference in Bournemouth.

She said: "The Conservatives badly needed reform and David Cameron presented himself as the reformer but he is not succeeding.

"He has not gathered together a cross-section of society. Instead, elitism and exclusivity are at the heart of the party and I am not as close to that heart as I would like."

Explaining her new-found fondness for the party most likely to gain her a cosy life and fat pension Labour, she said: "The same old tired lies and spin from a Labour mouthpieceWe have had ten years of record investment in public services and the highest employment ever, as well as a new prime minister who was the most competent chancellor, creating stability and a growing economy.

"I see the positive changes and the great opportunities available for me to more people of all backgrounds - and I want to work to keep the Labour party in government so I can get my backside onto those green benches and maybe a ministerial post."
In other words Ms Symes wants to be on the winning side. She appears to be a classic example of the Political Classes. She is cleaving to the winner.

The fate of the nation, its citizens, party loyalty, principles and any concept of her own political values appear to come a distant second.

2 comments:

James Higham said...

Maybe, Roger, maybe. Congrats on your Top 100 listing anyway.

Roger Thornhill said...

Thanks!