Friday 17 April 2009

A Few Good Bloggers

Guido Fawlkes lays out the story in The Times today. It is a very fine piece of writing indeed.

As I am not Guido, I can put it another way. Guido is one of a "Few Good Bloggers". He stood a post and he handled the truth, while some in the Lobby criticised him for leaking the emails, forgetting all about those who created them, shared them and built the House that nurtured them. Guido ordered the Code Red.

Col. Jessep: You want answers?
Kaffee: I think I'm entitled.
Col. Jessep: YOU WANT ANSWERS?
Kaffee: I want the TRUTH!
Col. Jessep: YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!
pauses
Col. Jessep: Son, we live in a world that has walls and those walls need to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lieutenant Weinberg? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago and curse the Marines; you have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives and that my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use then as the backbone of a life trying to defend something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you," and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest that you pick up a weapon and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think you are entitled to.

The above speech destroys the faux-Liberal stance, even as many who read it think that the speech is what crucified Jessep.

We want Guido on that blog. We need Guido on that blog, along with countless other bloggers who are willing to stand a post in the name of truth. In this case, Guido did not take payment, so was not hauled off, and so the country was not weakened.

No comments: